A journal of our family

Monday, April 25, 2011

We need him as much as he needs us

These words spoken durring General Conference keep resonating through my head. When we first heard that statement (durring the talk on raising "difficult" children), Tyson and I both looked at each other and said, "Coleman" and I have had to remind myself of this quote many, many, many times since. Oh how we love that little guy, but he is more work than the other 5 children combined. He had a rough week this last week. I know he's two and testing his boundaries, but oh my heck. Sacrament meeting has turned into the battle of wills. Gone is any hope of possibly being able to tell you what the talks were on or even who spoke. I now spend my time catching sacrament cups being thrown through the air, wathcing my necklace fly across the chapel when my sweet Coleman refuses to hand it to me, playing bodyguard for Madden who's just trying to survive and spending way too much time out in the foyer or a classroom while Coleman's in a time out. He does not like Sacrament meeting. At all. He's a stinker from the first prayer (or before) till the last speaker says Amen (at which point he happily yells, "Nursery".)

Then we have life the other 6 days of the week. This week he sprayed our plasma tv with a bottle of water. Luckily after 6 hours of heat and fans blowing on it, it dryed out enough to turn back on. He narrowly escaped an early "retirement" on that one :). We believe he's thrown out the tv remote and the other beater to my mixer. He drew on my family room wall, my kitchen floor, my basement wall, my entryway and my kitchen wall (thank goodness for magic erasers and yes, he has to clean them off). We learned he's been taking the vent covers off and hiding things like socks, toys, pencils, and food in the vents. He empited a bottle of shampoo on his head in Walmart. He got into Wyatt's easter candy right before church and covered himself and the family room carpet in Cadburry eggs. He got into the freezer jam and covered himself, the kitchen floor and counter in the sticky mess ( in a matter of only 3 min max). He got into the baby lotion and poured it on his bedroom carpet then preceeded to pee on the carpet as I was cleaning up the lotion (he'd just gotten out of the bath). These are only the highlights.

I really do love him. He is a fun kid and cracks me up, but oh how he makes me want to scream somedays. If he makes it safely to adulthood, I think it'll be a miracle.

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear!! I am dealing with 2 of those "adventurous, naughty" children right now too! I will have gray hair real soon! Hopefully it is just the 2-3 year old stage and then he will be an angel! ;) (fingers crossed! At least that is what I keep trying to tell myself!!!) Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the Sunbeam teacher for 7 years and saw a lot of children like this (including my own!). But the parents are all very good and normal, so there's hope, right? Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete